My Ragnarok Characters

Front page Forums Art Share 2D Digital My Ragnarok Characters

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AlydaBookworm AlydaBookworm 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Claret
    Claret
    Participant

Going to preface this with: I usually just art dump in one thread on forums, so I’m not sure if I should do that here too, or if I should just keep one thread per piece/theme?

So!!! I’ve played the MMO Ragnarok Online off and on for over a decade now, and it’s been one of the biggest inspirations for character designs and many themes in my writing. I recently got back into it (after a couple year break) mid last year, and with video games comes fanart! My server is a bit odd in that it does periodic content updates rather than being on the current patch (it’s a nostalgia bait server), so there’s not much to do other than make a lot of new characters while I wait around for the big updates to drop. At first I just drew a couple, but I think I eventually want to do all of my characters and I’ll post them here!

Absinthe

First up is my brewing Alchemist, Absinthe. I drew this back in August while I was grinding her to 99. I wanted to keep it really simple because I tend to get burnt out on shading, but the later drawings have kind of run away from me and gotten more detailed and less loose each time. /shrug

Claret
    Claret
    Participant

A couple weeks later I drew my Hunter, Dirge! I made this character when I first joined the server along with my Priest (because she was a full support character and needed to be leeched to second job [mmo jargon blah blah blah blah]), but the Priest hit 99 way before her and she’s STILL not max level to this day. She’s loosely based on a Melody character from an original story, which is why her eyes are orange (and it’s hard to see, but they’re lined with deep purple rather than the normal lineart color).

Dirge

I drew the Alchemist first because Alchemists are the class I’ve grown to love more than any other, and the Hunter second as a tribute to my original love of archer classes in MMOs. Her class was what really hooked me on the game when I was a tiny little baby Claret, even though I enjoy playing other classes more now.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Claret Claret.
    Claret
    Claret
    Participant

And that was that until about a week ago I realized that I’d never drawn my Rogue beyond a few pencil sketches from three years ago. She hit 99 way back in October so I needed to do her justice immediately! Here’s Lament in all her shiny glory! While not strictly based on an OC, she also has a musically themed name so she qualifies for the orange Melody eyes.

Lament

I really like the way this one turned out. She’s my farming character, and one of the features of the Rogue class is that they can steal items while auto attacking, so a crass, cheeky personality seemed very fitting. There’s two pairs of angel wing themed headgear items in the game, and I like to wear both on her along with her white outfit because I think it gives a really cute effect (to contrast the implied personality).

Claret
    Claret
    Participant

And since I’m on a roll, I knocked out a drawing of my Priestess, Nocturne, a couple days ago. I like to main Priests in RO because I enjoy support classes and it’s not nearly as stressful as healing in most other MMOS (it’s also one of the most actively engaging jobs in the game), and so she was the first character I maxed out on this server, and the one I’ve spent the most time on.

Nocturne

Noct is one of the main characters in my story, so when I made her in RO it was really strange for her to have such a different design–Namely her hairstyle and color palette. Story!Noct is a Melody who wears green and has her signature fringe in front of her shoulders, but RO!Noct wears blue and has an entirely different hairstyle. The healing effect is also green, so I decided to merge the designs a bit and go with a green background. Th-this one also ended up a bit more refined and “finished” compared to the others, and I’m not sure if I want to move away from that going forward because I get burnt out pretty quickly when it takes more than a couple hours to finish something.

Tindomiel
    Tindomiel
    Participant

I really love your style. And I think Absinthe is my favorite 🙂 She just looks like a lot of fun.

Calicocat
    calicocat
    Participant

Does Nocturne have HORNS? I love them all, so much talent and preciousness in one thread. Keep us updated, I wanna see moooore!

Claret
    Claret
    Participant

Lenore: Thank you! I really love Absinthe too. Alchemists have super adorable sprites and her fluffy hair was a lot of fun to draw.

Cat: Ty, I hope I’ll be able to do one or two of these a week if I stay motivated, I have a million characters. AND I WISH THEY WERE HORNS! It’s an item called a Spiky Band and it looks like this:

there are horn headgear items (and they’re my favorite in the game), but they’re not implemented in our server yet MUCH TO MY DESPAIR. I’ve been holding off on remaking one of my characters from an old server just because I can’t get the horns yet.

Lauramegara
    Laura Megara
    Participant

@claret Your style is so unique and amazing !! <3 And your characters are all awesome, Lament is my fave ^^

Claret
    Claret
    Participant

@lauramegara I’m not sure how to @ people with spaces in their name so we’ll see how this works??

Thank you! I was just thinking today about how I kind of have two distinct styles I use. One has (more) normal proportions, and the other is this strange… not exactly chibi, but super stretched noodle limb style I do when I don’t want to spend too much time on something. Thinking about it, I actually started developing it about 10 years ago when I was very actively playing RO and drawing fanart–which is really strange, because I’ve never really thought of these doodles as my “signature” style, but I guess they really are??

I just dug around through the backup of my very, very, VERY old laptop and found some drawings I did circa 2007/8. You can see the beginnings of this style in these weird noodle chibis (It was horrifying looking through them, so I only uploaded a few). I think I’m really happy with how it has progressed and developed over the years (I think the limbs and torso aren’t QUITE as stretched anymore, lmao). It might be fun to hunt down a lot of my old art and do one of those timeline sheets to see how this particular style has changed over time.

Lauramegara
    Laura Megara
    Participant

@claret It worked ! ^^

Oooh those old drawings are nice !! It’s great to see your progress :3
    I’d say draw in any style you want, as long as you enjoy it ! I think this style is particular because I’ve never seen anyone drawing like this, especially with the little backgrounds full of colors, so when I see it I know it’s your art.

Claret
    Claret
    Participant

So I uh, found and compiled nearly every single piece of RO fanart I’ve drawn in my life into one album. It’s close to 200 drawings, most of which are noodle-limbed abominations from when i was 17. Enjoy?

Really though, it’s neat to see how my art style has evolved and what types of things I have always enjoyed drawing whether I was 16 or 26.

AlydaBookworm
    AlydaBookworm
    Participant

You’ve improved a lot! Your art style has really changed. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.